Baby Gift Projects
Last Thursday, January 23rd my niece Shaylee Rae was born. Well, today we got to meet her. She’s lovely! The past couple of days have been a whirlwind. Not exactly busy but exhausting. Wednesday I had this feeling of accomplishment with nothing to do. I know right, nothing to do? Well, I stopped by our local Ben Franklin Crafts and got some girly baby yarn and 2 flannel fat quarters. Haven’t made anything from the fat quarters yet but I did make a super cute hat for my new niece from the yarn.
I don’t know how to read a crochet pattern, I wish I did. So I winged it.
It’s a little lopsided… It made her look so cute though:
Pretty cute huh? Can’t wait for our bundle of joy to arrive in a few short months! So I guess I’ll have lots of practice making cute items till then.
I also made this little bundle of joy a snuggler/swaddler. My husband does an excellent swaddling job, Noah was wrapped up like a burrito when he was little, I could never do as good as a job. So this is a perfect alternative. Just put baby in and cinch up with the velcro. I made it out of fleece as its warm and water repellent. So if the diaper leaks it won’t make everything else wet. I’ll probably just make flannel ones for our little bean since it will be early May in which I am due.
I used a free pattern by Lotta Jansdotter that I found here.
I’ve also been working on sewing quilt squares together for our quilt for our bed. This has been a very long project. I bought the fabric for it March 2013. Didn’t have the tools to cut it until I received an amazon.com gift card for my birthday in October which I then didn’t receive the goods till Thanksgiving. So during that crazy Christmas holiday time I did successfully cut 240- 6″ squares from the 9 different fabrics.
I asked my mother-in-law however how to make it look random and she said she never has any luck just sewing them random. So, I took out my trusty graph paper book, made a template 16 blocks long and 15 blocks wide, gave each fabric pattern a number and placed a number in each box. I did have to do this twice because I wasn’t looking at the fabric the first time and the bold colors were too close together vs spread out. Then I stacked the squares in which to sew them, gave them a number for a row and went to sewing them together. I’m about half way there.
As soon as I have some sewed together I’ll share! I also decided when we were in Hibbing this morning visiting my niece to stop at Joann Fabric’s to look for fabric for a new curtain in our room since once this quilt is finished the current curtains will clash drastically. I lucked out! I’ll post before and after pictures when I finish!